How to buy Rainwear
There are a few options to choose from when selecting the type of rainwear you want. First, consider material type.
- By and large the best option for most activities. Keeps rain out, while allowing sweat to escape. Can use laminates or coatings.
- Laminates – Gore-Tex is a laminate. This option provides highest breathability and durability, but costs more.
- Coatings – Offers equal waterproofing to laminates, but will suffer in breathability. They are less expensive.
- Good for rain protection while active.
- Should only be used if heavy rain is not a threat.
- Slows the penetration of water, but won’t prevent it.
- These are typically soft shells, or windbreakers.
- Flexibility of a soft shell with waterproof protection.
- Popular among climbers or runners who value mobility.
- E.g., Soft shell jacket with Gore-Tex laminate.
- Moisture can’t get in or out.
- Good rain protection for low stress activities (e.g., fishing).
- The classic yellow rain coat.
Look for quality
Good rainwear is a great investment and is incredibly versatile. A quality rain shell can turn into your primary outerwear jacket, and can offer great comfort in almost any conditions.